To be able to understand the physical origin of the electric charges and to model it.
To be able to use the principle of charge conservation on simple examples.
To be able to understand the origin of the electrostatic field, to make the link with the concept of electrical charge, to calculate the electrostatic field created by simple charge distributions.
To be able to solve simple electrostatics examples with the Gauss’s law.
To be able to make the link between the local and integral equations of electrostatics.
To be able to calculate the potential energy and the electrostatic potential.
To be able to understand the physical origin of the electric current, the current density and to model these two quantities.
To be able to understand the origin of the Magnetostatic field, to make the link with the concept of the current density, to calculate the Magnetostatic field produced by simple distributions of current density.
To be able to calculate simple Magnetostatic examples with the Ampere’s law.
To be able to make the link between the local and integral equations of Magnetostatics.
To be able to calculate the action of a magnetic force on a charged particle.
Field and potential
• Gauss’s law.
• Electrostatic Energy
• Conductors, Ohm's Law.
• Law of Biot and Savart.
• Ampère's theorem.
• Lorentz and Laplace Forces.
Knowledge of vector analysis, systems of cylindrical and spherical coordinates, differential operators, trigonometric functions (relations in a triangle, projections), fundamental principles of mechanics (conservation of energy, Newton's Laws of Motion).
Exam 1H30, Undocumented, calculator "type collège" allowed
CC = continuous assessment Exam
EXAM = Final Exam
The course exists in the following branches:
Course ID : 1AMPH130
The course is attached to the following structures:
You can find this course among all other courses.
• Young, Zemansky, “University Physics”, (Cote ESISAR 530 YOU)
• Benson, H., "Physique II - Electricité et magnétisme" Editions du renouveau pédagogique, 1993.
• Bertin, M., Faroux, J.-P., Cours de physique, Electromagnétisme 3", Dunod, 1986.
• Feynman, Leighton, Sands, "Les cours de physique de Feynman"; Electromagnétisme 1, InterEditions, 1979.
• Gardiol, F. "Traité d'Electricité, volume III, Electromagnétisme" Presses polytechniques et universitaires romandes, 1996.
Date of update June 25, 2015