- Degree awarded Master
- Duration 1 year
- Initial education
With the current growth of the market for "smart objects" and IOT, there is also a growing need for engineers specialized in the design of safe and secure embedded systems, and who can handle the challenges relating to hardware design, software design, and their interactions. The master IMESS offers a curriculum perfectly suited for students who want to work either in engineering or in research, in the field of secure and safe embedded systems.
Why choose this Master Program?
- Opens up both to industry careers and research careers
- Connected with both industry and several research laboratories, allowing for many job and PhD opportunities
- Lots of high-quality classes and practical work
- A European hub of the worldwide CSAW competition
- A deep integration with both international and French students
- One-year long program; mandatory funded internship; scholarship opportunities
- Fully taught in English
Who can apply?
Students in Electronic Engineering / Computer Engineering / Computer Science
What are the contents?
- 1st semester: 330 hours of class - 30 ECTS
With 100 hours of Laboratory and 60 hours of team project work.
- 2nd semester: Graduation Project – 30 ECTS
Internship in a lab or a company. Grenoble INP - Esisar hosts the LCIS laboratory dedicated to design and systems integration. For more information, please click here.
All courses are taught in English.
>> Apply online here <<
Want to explore some careers after IMESS?
Amir, from Iran, graduate from the 2018/2019 program and now Postdoctoral researcher at ETS University (Montreal).
We had plenty of lab works, some good projects to work on and an internship at the end. I myself liked a lot the practical aspects of the program. You are not only focused on theories (though you learn theoretical concepts you have to know nonetheless – and they are not just a few), but you also have to implement them. This shows how strong the program is. Almost every course has laboratorial works as well. "
Read the whole article here.
CSAW Europe Finals hosted by Grenoble INP - Esisar:
Grenoble INP - Esisar is partnering with NYU Tandon School of Engineering to organize The Cybersecurity Awareness Week (CSAW) Competitions for the Europe Region.
Please find more information about CSAW Europe.
- required training 1-year master (or 4-year Bachelor)
- Tuition fees € 5,000 / € 1,473*
Available as :
- Initial education
Admission to the master is open to students:
- who have completed 1st master year or a 4-year Bachelor in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- who have a minimum B2 level in English language.
- Computer Engineering: Digital Design (VHDL/Verilog, FPGA), Embedded Programming, Processor Architecture
- Computer Science: C and Java programming language
2024 September intake
January 11th & May 20th 2024
Application processComplete the FSA online application form after creating your account, and provide the following documents:
- ID Document
- CV and motivation letter
- Two recommendation letters
- Transcripts (copy of your last diploma obtained, transcripts of the two previous academic years and of the present academic year)
- Proof of B2 level in English (previous studies in English or English language certificate)
Application files will be assessed by one of the 2 admission committees. The deadlines for application are:
- February 29th, for the March 12th admission committee;
- May 20th, for the June 3rd admission committee.
Please be advised that if you wish to apply for a scholarship from the university, you must submit your application before March 12th. After this date, scholarship opportunities are significantly reduced and may even be unavailable. Please note that you are only allowed to apply for one application session, and if your application is declined, you will not be able to apply again for the same academic year.
You will be notified of the results of your application the week after each admission committee, you will be able to read the decision taken on your admission status on your FSA account.
If you are not living in France, you must fulfill the process asked by Etudes en France and Campus France. This is mandatory to obtain your entrance visa.
For more information about visa, please click here.
- EU, EEA (European Economic Area) or Quebec students: 1473€
- Non-EU students: 5,000€
The institution applies the rules incurring the payment of differentiated fees by non-E.U students.
The registration fees can be paid in installments rather than all at once at the start of the academic year.
In addition, the admitted students will receive information about the scholarships available to Grenoble INP-UGA students.
Email contact for application-related queries
- Course duration 1 year
List of courses:
Advanced Processor Architecture and SoC Design - 5 ECTS
Verification and Test of Safe and Secure Embedded Systems - 5 ECTS
Embedded Systems Security - 5 ECTS
Dependability and Security of Computing Systems - 5 ECTS
Decentralized Control of Complex Systems - 4 ECTS
French as a Foreign Language - 1 ECTS
Internship (5-6 months) - 30 ECTS
Innovation Projects at Grenoble INP - Esisar:In 2022, 20 Innovations Project subjects have been proposed (to read the subjects list: click here) and 12 projects have been realized.
The targeted skills are innovation, work in collaboration with a research lab, multidisciplinary team work and development of hardware and software systems.
More on Innovation Projects here.
- Language of instruction English
- Internship abroad No
International exchange students are allowed to attend this master program, within the limits of available places.
For more details please click here
To help you to find scholarships for which you may be eligible you can visit:
- France Diplomatie to find the scholarship programs offered by governments (Foreign government: Check with your home country's Education Ministry / French government: Information is available on French embassies' and consulates' websites in your home country).
- CampusBourses a grant search engine allowing you to find scholarships for which you may be eligible, according to your profile.
If you have no scholarships from governments, there is a scholarship program from University Grenoble Alpes to which you might apply:
- IDEX Scholarship
- You can apply for this scholarship programs during completion of your application file for IMESS.
- We will submit your application for you to IDEX scholarship program. The best candidates will be selected according to their academic results (1 or 2 scholarship awarded per year).
Examples of industrial job opportunities:
- Embedded Software/Hardware Engineer or Developer
- Hardware Cybersecurity Engineer
- Distributed Systems Engineer
Prisca works now as software development engineer in Ponant Technologies in Valence. Read her testimony.
Mahdi works now as hardware security engineer in SGS Brightsight in the Netherlands. Read his testimony.
Example of thematics:
- Hardware/Software Embedded and Communicating Systems
- Hardware/Software Security or Safety
- Distributed Systems Design
- System Control
Amir is now a postdoctoral researcher at ETS University in Montreal. Read Amir's testimony.
Zain is currently PhD student at Tallin University of Technology. Read about his Master experience here.